When it comes to purchasing the best metal detectors, the many options available can make one wonder where to start. Nevertheless, if you take the time to collect all the necessary information, finding the best metal detectors will be easy.
The Minelab Go-Find 22, Fisher F 22, Garrett ACE 250, Detech EDS Gold Catcher, Garrett ACE 400, and Ricomax Metal Detector are the top five best models. These models have excellent ground balance and high-quality sensitivity control to help metal detectorists get the most accurate readings possible.
Whether you are an expert in purchasing metal detectors or it is your first time, there are several things that you need to acquaint yourself with to make sure that you do not make the wrong choice.
Types Of Metal Detectors
The first step to purchasing the best metal detectors is ensuring that you are familiar with the different types of metal detectors in the current market. Metal detectors are categorized according to how they are used and the items they can detect. Based on that classification, there are three main metal detectors: Very Low Frequency, specialty detectors, and pulse induction detectors.
Very Low Frequency Detectors (VLF detectors)
The VLF detectors are the most affordable and standard metal detectors you can get. They have two coils: a detector coil that senses any disturbances occasioned by conductive materials and a transmitter coil that creates the magnetic field.
Besides being affordable, Very Low Frequency Detectors are durable and lightweight, making them an ideal option for beginners and children. These metal detectors are used to find coins, relics, jewelry, and other metal deposits.
Pulse Induction Detectors
The pulse induction detectors have a single-coil, unlike the VLF detectors. The single-coil design is less affected by ground mineralization, making them excellent detectors for searching rivers, beaches, or underwater. However, they are not the best detectors to use in cities since they cannot discriminate between treasures such as coins or gold and iron trash like nails.
As the name suggests, specialty detectors can either be pulse induction detectors or Very Low Frequency detectors, but they have features that enable them to perform specialized tasks. These types of metal detectors can be classified into three types;
- Gold Metal Detectors – They are specifically meant to find gold.
- Multi-frequency metal detectors are ideal for hobbyists or professionals who carry out metal detection in various locations. Interestingly, by changing their frequencies, they can be helpful in cities, lakes, rivers, on the beach, and even in the ocean without the need for the VLF and PI. However, they are a bit expensive compared to other types.
- Waterproof metal detectors – As the name suggests, waterproof metal detectors are ideal to use in water. Nonetheless, when shopping for waterproof metal detectors, you need to ensure that you understand the waterproof designation because some are only submersible to a specific depth.
Why Go For Metal Detectors Cheap
Some people may think you need the most advanced metal detector to get the most out of your hobby. You do not have to invest in expensive metal detectors to get fun or be successful in your metal detecting hobby. Here are some of the reasons to purchase a cheap metal detector.
- An easy way of getting into your hobby
- Purchasing a detector that corresponds to your experience
- There is no need to spend a fortune on getting a metal detector
- Save some money for other items and accessories
- Cheap metal detectors are easy to use
- An opportunity to start detecting as soon as possible
- Cheap detectors can also be effective
- Most cheap metal detectors are lightweight
- They still have excellent features that can prove helpful
- Cheap detectors have a good ground balance
- Some reputable models have LCD screens
- They can give you the thrill of the hunt
- An ideal way to avoid overspending
- You can always upgrade when you have a better experience and financial stability.
- Most cheap metal detectors are all-purpose models.
- You won't get frustrated with the technical aspect that comes with an advanced metal detector.
The Best Cheap Metal Detector
One of the essential considerations for many people whenever they set out to get metal detectors for their use is the price. The price factor becomes even more critical if it is your first time investing in metal detectors or on a tight budget.
The Minelab Go-Find 22 is the best budget metal detector for beginners. Minelab Go-Find 22 is an entry-level detector from Australian specialist Minelab, and it is the best-designed model out there for a pocket-friendly price.
The Go-Find 22 has an 8-inch coil and boasts two find modes to offer basic yet accurate discrimination between ferrous and non-ferrous metals. If you are after finding priced treasures, then this metal detector might prove very significant.
What Is The Best Budget Metal Detector?
Most metal detectorists are always looking for an opportunity to find gold, artifacts, and other treasures buried beneath the ground without spending a lot of money. Whether you are getting started in the metal finding hobby or on a tight budget, getting the best budget metal detector is not as complex as it may appear.
The Bounty Hunter Gold Digger is the best budget metal detector. It was designed with lightweight in mind making it ideal for beginners as this helps to ensure that the arm does not get tired. In addition, the metal detector is ideal for different heights, and it has more excellent features for metal detecting adventures.
Features And Benefits
- Excellent power and sensitivity control
- Can detect metals 8 inches beneath packed soil on the lowest end
- The arm brace help in preventing the straining of the arm
- It is excellent in finding metals in most terrains, including snow and soil
- Comes with headphones included
- All-metal mode enables it to detect different types of metals
- Trash eliminator helps get rid of undesirable targets
What Are The Best Metal Detectors Under $100?
The best metal detectors under $100 are ideal for beginners and children. Moreover, treasure hunting is perfect for a family bond as you are likely to spend great moments with your loved ones. There are several best metal detectors under $100 that you can get.
The Bounty Hunter TK4 Tracker IV Metal detector is the best overall for metal detectors under $100. It boasts numerous excellent features, including a comfortable armrest and handgrip to guarantee long searching hours without getting exhausted. Additionally, the Bounty Hunter TK4 Tracker IV Metal detector features three modes of operation; Discrimination mode, All-metal mode, and 2-Tone audio mode. The three modes make it excellent in different conditions.
Other best metal detectors under $100 to check out include;
- Canway Adjustable Waterproof metal finder – Excellent for Deep seeking
- MARNUR Metal Detector – Best for gold and silver detecting
- TACKLIFE Metal Detector – great for beach search
- Kingdetector metal MD-4030 Pro – Most affordable
Important Features to Consider
When looking for the best metal detector to jumpstart your hobby, there are several critical factors that you should never overlook. They include;
- Calibration – a robust calibration is essential for subverting interference.
- Depth indicator
- Discrimination Radar type
- Sensitivity meter
- Pinpoint mode
Keep reading: The Best Metal Detector Wands [TOP MODELS]
The Bottom Line
Every treasure hunter knows that there are relics, coins, and gold hidden in a variety of places. Therefore, to get the best metal detector, you need to understand the condition you will work in when searching for treasures. Your success highly depends on the quality of your metal detector, and you do not want to bypass your treasure because of an inferior detector. After extensive research and comparison, we can establish that the Garrett ACE 250 is the king of metal detectors.
Shawn Manaher loves to play with new toys and dive into new hobbies. As a serial entrepreneur, work definitely comes first but there is always room for hobbies.