It is important that when drone fishing for tuna, you use the correct drone so that your fishing adventure can be a success. But to use the correct drone, you have to know which drone is best for drone fishing for tuna.
Some of the best drones for drone fishing for tuna are the Gannet drone fishing balloon rig, phantom 3 pro fishing drone, Mavic 2 fishing drone, phantom 3 standard fishing drone, Mavic Pro, and DJI inspire fishing drones. There is a wide range of drones suitable for drone fishing for tuna.
You must keep in mind that not all drones can be used to fish for tuna. Each fishing drone varies and is reliant on its capacity and qualities to be used for fishing. This is why you need to know the best drone to use for drone fishing for tuna.
What is Drone Fishing?
Drone fishing refers to the use of drones to fish. It features the new drone technology that allows you to fish for aquatic animals without stress. It is better than using the regular fishing net or hook, line, and sink to fish.
When you use a drone to fish, you do not need to go to the sea by boat or canoe, you can stay at the seashore and still fish without any problems. Drone fishing helps large-scale fishermen fish with ease.
Because a drone can cover large areas, it is suitable for fishing. When drone fishing, you have a clear view of the sea through your phone or tablet which is connected to the drone controller. So you can see have a clear sight of the fish you want to catch.
The drone you want to use to fish will drop a line to get the bait in the right spot. But for this to happen, the drone will use a downrigger clip or a bait release mechanism to hold the line, hooks, and bait.
Once, the drone is in position, the reel of the drone will be locked and the mechanism will lower the bait into the water. When a fish comes to eat the bait, the reel will be stopped and the tension in the line will release the clip.
Then, the fish has been caught and you can fly your drone back to the shore to get your fish. You can drone fish in both salt water and fresh water. You can drone fish for tuna, bonitos, jack crevalles, tarpons, barracuda, and many more including sharks and other aquatic animals.
Benefits of Drone Fishing
There are lots of advantages when it comes to drone fishing, some of these benefits are:
- Fishing is easier and faster.
- You have a clearer view of the sea and a better angle for fishing.
- You do not have to wait for hours before a fish will fall for the bait because you can easily drop your bait amid fish to speed up the process.
- No limitations or boundaries on the sea, everywhere is accessible for fishing.
- It is more fun than kayaking, there is the joy of fishing as well as the thrill of flying.
- The use of drones allows you to study the fish you want to catch to know how to properly place your bait and which technique to use.
- You can make the filming of the process of drone fishing using your drone.
- The GPS of a drone makes it easier for you to find a fishing spot if it is somewhere you are not familiar with.
- Drone fishing helps you bring your bait and fish in places that are hard to reach with a normal line and hook.
Types of Drones Best for Drone Fishing for Tuna
Some of the drones that are best for drone fishing for tuna are:
- Splash Drone 3 Fisherman: This drone is particularly designed for fishing. It is waterproof so you can land the drone on water and it would not be affected which makes it appropriate for fishing since fishing involves water. It also easy to fly, and its maximum distance level is one kilometer. It also features a live video monitor that you can use to see a live feed from the camera.
- DJI Phantom 4 Pro: The flight time of a phantom drone is thirty minutes and it can go as far as seven kilometers. It has obstacle avoidance that prevents unwanted collision and auto take-off and landing features. This drone also has a one key return home function, so once you have made your catch you can press the return home button and the drone will come back to you.
- Yuneec Typhoon H: This drone has an intelligent flight mode and can move 360 degrees. The drone has a flight time of thirty minutes and goes for as far as seven kilometers. The lens of this drone has an extremely wide-angle which provides a better and clearer view of the sea. It also has obstacle avoidance to prevent a collision. Its camera is one of the best for drone fishing.
- 3DR Solo: This drone is designed for beginners. If you are drone fishing for the first time the 3DR Solo is appropriate for you. The drone is responsive to commands and also has autonomous flight mode. It has a twenty-five-minute battery life which is enough for fishing.
- Upair One: this drone has a flight time of eighteen minutes and a maximum speed of 43.2kph. Its transmitter comes with a seven-inch monitor and it also has an auto take-off and landing feature. It also affordable by all at a cheaper price than most fishing drones.
Accessories for drone fishing for tuna include a sky rigger, a drone skyhook, a gannet, bait releases, fish finders, landing mats and pads, spare batteries for the drone, and many more.
One important thing you must know is that there are different methods to drone fish for tuna. Below are some YouTube links with an explanation on how you drone fish for tuna.
Drone Fishing for Tuna Using A Balloon Rig
In this scenario, the man is fishing using a balloon rig that is attached to the drone. He is in a boat in the middle of the sea for easy access to the tuna fish. He then sets the drone off and flies it to the middle of the sea. Then he directs the drone to lower the balloon rig which contains the bait into the sea. Once, the tuna fish approaches the balloon rig, he uses his hook, line, and sink, to catch the tuna fish and draws it closer to his boat.
Drone Fishing For Tuna From The Shore
In this case, we are fishing for a long-tail tuna. Connect your line and bait to the drone, in this case, is a phantom drone. Then let your drone take flight into the river or sea. You can just stay at the shore, but monitor your drone movement and see the ocean through your device which is connected to the drone. Drop your bait and wait for the target which is the tuna to eat the bait. Then, you can roll your line to the shore and get the tuna fish you are fishing for, all without leaving the shore.
Drone Fishing for Tuna On A Boat
Depending on the type of drone you are using to drone fish, you can either stay by the shore or in a boat in the middle of the sea or ocean. In this instance, we are using a sky rigger drone to fish for tuna. Once you are in the middle of the sea, turn off the drone's motor and send the bait your drone is holding steadily into the sea. After the tuna fish has gotten close to the bait, pull the line; where the hook is attached to; closer to the boat to get the tuna fish that you caught.
Catching A Tuna Fish Of Any Size With A Drone
Drone fishing for tuna is not limited because of the size of the fish. In this video, a woman went drone fishing for a tuna fish and caught a twenty-two-kilogram tuna fish at her first trial. The drone lowered the line with the bait into the middle of some tuna fish as directed by the controller i.e. the person watching the camera and controlling the drone. Once the tuna fish approached the bait, it was hooked. So, the woman winded the reel and brought the tuna fish to the boat. This video tells us that it is possible to have a successful drone fishing experience on the first trial.
It is always interesting to try out new things. And going fishing for tunas with a drone is an exciting adventure you would love to experience. But, before going on this exciting trip, you should keep in mind what drone fishing is, the types of drones suitable for drone fishing for tuna, and the process involved in drone fishing.
Shawn Manaher loves to play with new toys and dive into new hobbies. As a serial entrepreneur, work definitely comes first but there is always room for hobbies.