Drones are becoming a part of our daily lives, and with technological advancements, we find drones more useful than ever. If you are an enthusiast who loves flying drones around for fun, you must have thought of different places to fly a drone. If a train is one of the places, you should read this blog post.
Yes, a drone will move in trains. However, as the train moves, you must ensure you keep your drone stationary. Drones can also fly around a train. But the FAA has a law that drones must not fly near moving vehicles. So, unless you have a permit, it will be illegal to fly a drone around a train.
Drones are revolutionizing aircraft and how we use them for our daily life activities. Flying a drone in and around a train is a fun activity. However, it can be dangerous if the pilot does not fly with caution.
Will A Drone Move In Trains?
A drone will move in a train. However, it can be dangerous to fly inside one. You can fly a drone in a train only if you have a permit from the Federal Aviation Administration.
When you fly a drone in a train, the metal around the train will interfere with the drone's compass. If the GPS of the drone is active, it will head for the back of the train immediately after the drone is activated, which can cause some major damages unless the drone you are using has obstacle avoidance sensors.
If the GPS of the drone is off, the ultrasonic and optical sensors of the drone will lock the drone onto the top of the train. Then, the drone will begin to move like a stationary object. Flying a drone in a moving train will prevent the drone from being stationary. When your drone is not stationary, there is a huge possibility it can crash against the walls of the train.
But there are few things you can put into consideration to ensure your drone remains stationary while it is flying in a train. The speed at which your drone is flying determines if your drone will remain stationary or not. For your drone to remain stationary, you have to be flying it in the opposite direction to that of the train you are in. You should also make sure your drone is flying at the same speed as the train.
If you fly your drone at a lower or higher speed than the train, when the train's driver suddenly applies the brake and the train comes to a stop, it can cause your drone to hit the inside of the train and get damaged.
Can You Hover A Drone In A Train
You can hover a drone in a train, but it is not that simple. Hovering a drone inside a moving train is very different from hovering outside a train. The propellers and rotors of a drone are used to maintain control and propulsion. There is a scientific fact that you have to follow to hover a drone in a train.
To hover a drone in a train, the net shove pulling the drone upwards must be equal to the gravitational force that pulls the drone downward. The equal gravitational force and upward force allow the drone to hover.
When you can hover your drone in a moving train, flying the drone will be a lot easier. You can hover your drone for a longer period as its motors do not need to be at their full capacity. Hence, the battery of the drone will last longer.
Will A Drone Fly Around A Train?
A drone can fly around a train. However, the Federal Aviation Administration has classified railroads as critical infrastructure, so it will be illegal to fly a drone around a train.
Some railroads are not considered as critical infrastructure in some states in the United States. But you should not fly a drone around a train to be safe. When you fly a drone around a train, some damages can happen, such as:
- The train can collide with the drone and cause a fatal accident.
- The drone can fly into some vital equipment of the train and cause serious damage to them.
- Flying a drone around a train can be distracting to the train's driver, and if he runs off course, lots of lives will be lost.
The only way you can fly a drone around a train is when you have a permit from the Federal Aviation Administration.
How To Apply For A Permit From The FAA
Applying for a special flight permit from the FAA is not quite easy. There are some requirements you must meet before you will be granted the permit. Below are the procedures you have to follow when applying for a permit.
- Inspect your drone at any repair station and deem it fit for a safe flight.
- Download the FAA form 8130-6 from the FAA website and complete the form.
- Next, you should take the safe flight endorsement of your drone and the FAA form 8130-6 and email it to the Flight Standard District Office.
- After it has been approved, you will get a letter stating the operating limits of your drone. With the letter comes the special permit.
Applying for a permit from the Federal Aviation Administration is free of charge. However, the repair station that inspected your drone and endorsed it for a safe flight will demand a fee.
If you are not a professional drone pilot, you should hire a professional to help you fly your drone around a train. Doing this will prevent the drone from causing any form of accident.
Consequences For Flying A Drone Inside Or Around A Train Without A Permit
There are consequences for flying a drone illegally. When you fly a drone inside or around a train without a permit, it is considered flying illegally. Here are some penalties for flying a drone in and around a train without a permit:
- Your drone will be seized from you and never returned.
- You will be fined a maximum amount of $5000.
- You can receive a prison sentence of up to 3 months.
The Federal Aviation Administration Drone Laws
The Federal Aviation Administration is in charge of regulating airspace. This includes the regulation of drone flying for both recreational and commercial purposes. Some of the rules that the FAA enforces to regulate the flight of drones are;
- You must always maintain a visual line of sight with your drone throughout your entire flight.
- Before flying a drone, register it with the Federal Aviation Administration.
- You should not fly your drone near emergency activities or critical infrastructure unless you have an FAA permit.
- You should never fly your drone without adequate lighting at night. This implies that your drone must have LED lights if you are going to fly it at night.
- You must have an FAA-issued Remote Pilot Certificate before you can fly a drone commercially.
- You should also have a license before you can fly your drone.
One of the best experiences is flying a drone. Flying a drone in different places is a fun activity. It is one thing to fly a drone around a train and quite another to do so inside one. You can try out both activities. However, you must ensure you comply with all the FAA drone laws to avoid prosecution. Stay safe and have a great flight.
Shawn Manaher loves to play with new toys and dive into new hobbies. As a serial entrepreneur, work definitely comes first but there is always room for hobbies.